Saturday, February 10, 2007

Hospice care

My mother has been getting weaker each day and is now experiencing some neurological deficits on her left side. She has difficulty speaking and cannot seem to use her left hand very efficiently. I stayed out there Thursday night and all day Friday until the evening. We had some good talks...she's really worrying about how her death will happen. Her brother died of a brain tumor and he had lost his sight and ability to speak so she's really afraid of that happening. We really don't know what to tell her...I'm just trying to reassure her of our love and of the love of Christ. I know He is with her and I want her to find comfort in her faith. She's so weak she can barely walk with a walker. She isn't eating much at all. Dad finally agreed to begin hospice care now. They can offer so many more services and are skilled at helping the patient and the family deal with approaching death. I know that sounds really cold and clinical...but I've come to accept that Mom is going to die and I want to do all I can to make it as peaceful and comfortable for her as I can. John and I are going away overnight Sunday if all is well here at home. We're going to a "Renew Your Vows" concert and banquet where Mark Schultz will be singing! It's a formal affair so John is wearing a tux and I'm wearing the gown I wore to Joel's wedding. We're really looking forward to the time away. Molly and Myron gave us the money for this for Christmas! We're both really looking forward to it. We're staying at the Marriott Sunday night after the concert. The concert and banquet are being held in the Ft. Wayne Marriott ballroom. I hope to get some good photos to put on my blog next week.

1 comment:

Free In Christ said...

Karen, You are in my prayers.
I hope you have a wonderufl weekend with John. Sounds like a great weekend.