Sunday, January 15, 2006

Random thoughts...


I haven't blogged for awhile...life gets hectic! I have really enjoyed reading the blogs of others online. There are so many really deep thinkers out there who give me ideas to ponder. Sometimes I think my blog is so shallow and inconsequential. I have difficulty putting into words the things that really matter to me. This weekend has been very encouraging. We met the man who is our candidate for pastor. He and his wife and son drove here from North Carolina and joined a group of us for dinner Friday evening. His enthusiasm for the Word and for the Lord was really contagious. He preached today and it was such a breath of fresh air. I'm really hoping and praying that he is the man that God has chosen for our church. We have a wonderful church with a core group of really passionate believers...but we've gotten stale and set in our ways. I'm hoping he will help us get our small group plan on the move and that the Lord will use him to get all of us motivated!
On a totally different vein...when I get a little time to just surf the net, I like to look for interesting sites. I found the website for the little town in Kentucky where my dad was born. What was really interesting to me was a file that had a picture of my grandma in 7th grade! That would have been around 1915! Grandma is the one on the very left of the front row. I think genealogy is so fascinating. I wish I had more time to pursue it as a hobby. It's so interesting to see where I came from and think of those relatives and what their lives must have been like. I have the Whitenack genealogy way back to Martin Weidknecht in Adelshofen, Germany who was born in 1601. That was my Mom's maiden name. Her mother's maiden name was Ross and she traced her family back to the brother of Betsy Ross's husband. It's just really neat to think of the circumstances that shape our past and how that has affected our personalities and lives. When I was researching the Whitenack side a few years ago I found that my husband was in the same line...about 4 generations back. Isn't is amazing the way God brings us together!

1 comment:

Heather said...

That is so incredible! My Grandmother and her husband (who died when my mom was only 14 were from Kentucky. His last name was Castle...we have done some tracing, but some lines got mixed up or something. Genealogy fascinates me. Wow, to trace roots back to Besty Ross!! What a treasure. I love learning about people :) Thank you for sharing this and the picture!!
Love in Him
Heather