Friday, December 01, 2006

The Problem of Pain

My devotions today really spoke to me about my attitude towards Mom's illness. I had to confess to God that I've been angry with Him for allowing her suffering. I still don't understand what the purpose for this pain is...but I am not angry at God any more. I know He doesn't cause our pain and that he wants to comfort us if we will go to Him. I talked to Mom about this today and she asked me to read the devotions to her. She said the hardest thing for her in all this is to see the stress on the face of Dad and her kids. I tried to reassure her that we all just want to make her life easier and less painful and feel it's a privilege to pay back the love she's always given us. Here's the devotional from Dr. David Jeremiah.

The Problem of Pain
I love the Lord, because He has heard my voice and my supplications.
Psalm 116:1

Recommended Reading
Psalm 6:1-10


Dave Dravecky, the major league baseball pitcher who lost his throwing arm to cancer, has a reflective perspective on suffering: "In America, Christians pray for the burden of suffering to be lifted from their backs. In the rest of the world, Christians pray for stronger backs so they can bear their suffering. It's why we look away from the bag lady on the street and to the displays in the store windows. Why we prefer going to the movies instead of to hospitals and nursing homes."
Dravecky, who went on to found a ministry that reaches out to those suffering from illnesses and other circumstances, has taken a unique view on the "problem of pain." While pain itself is a problem, the bigger problem is how we respond to pain. Will we view it as a reason to be angry at God or an opportunity to reach out to Him for His help, comfort, wisdom, and direction? Just as reaching an unmarked crossroads presents a problem which way do we turn? so unexplained pain presents a problem: Which way will I turn in response?
You can solve pain's biggest problem by turning to God. Then you'll be in a place to hear from Him about where you should turn from there.

God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pain.
C. S. Lewis

No comments: