Monday, December 04, 2006

Turban girls



Friday my sisters, Sherry and Ruth and our brother Jim were at the folks' house to meet with the home care nurse. We were having a really bad wind storm and the power was out at Mom and Dad's so the house was really cold. We kept Mom nice and warm with lots of blankets but we were all really cold. So we donned Mom's cancer turbans and gathered around her for a picture...we did get a little smile out of her. She seemed to enjoy talking to the nurse and telling her about her family. I'm so thankful for a big family right now...we're taking turns staying with Mom and Dad and it helps to have lots of people! John went out and stayed from 11:00 Saturday morning and then I came out with supper when I got off work at 5:00. We stayed the night and most of Sunday there. Mom is still getting up every hour at night to try to use the bedside commode. It's so exhausting for everyone. It's almost like a compulsion but we have to respect her wishes. Dad is so worn out...he's still sleeping in the chair beside her bed every night. John said that my Dad is his hero. He really admires the way Dad has lovingly cared for Mom and is so gentle with her. We've been getting her to eat a little now...she especially liked the bacon, eggs and toast I made for her on Sunday morning. She has really drastic mood swings too. Sometimes she'll be talking and smiling and the next minute she'll be grimacing and crying in despair for God to let her die. She doesn't have pain from the tumor yet but mostly from the bowel ulceration. I wish I knew how to make this time happier for her. I'd love to set up a Christmas tree there but Dad doesn't want one...I'm not sure why. I think it would be cheering for her. None of us have really been able to think much about Christmas. I would just like to be able to help her enjoy the thought of God coming to earth as a small child and growing up to be our Savior. I know she believes this but He seems so far away from her right now. Please pray with me for Christ to be really near and that His presence will be apparent to Mom during her suffering.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(((((Karen))))) How did I miss so much?! I need to go read now. Oh, God Bless you dear friend...may the Lord's love surround your entire family. love you-Heather