Monday, June 26, 2006

He danced with me!

This weekend was my 40th high school reunion! It was really a lot of fun. We had a very nice meal at the country club and then an entertainer played and sang all the old songs from the 60's that we danced to in high school. John was a bit nervous about going...he's a bit self conscious because he grew up really poor and never really had much self esteem. You'd never know it if you were around him now. He's very handsome (in my opinion) and very articulate. Anyway...he agreed to go and we both really enjoyed it. It was almost surreal seeing people I hadn't seen in 40 years. They had the same faces but now with wrinkles and white hair! A couple of them I didn't recognize at all but most people I knew at first glance. One classmate went to live in Australia and teach music there about 30 years ago and now she's a genuine Aussie...she sounds just like the Crocodile Hunter! Another classmate is an actor in Hong Kong...he came to the Friday night reception so I missed seeing him since I had to work. It was really fun getting reacquainted with former classmates. Getting hugs from old "crushes" was an odd feeling too. John doesn't like to dance so I didn't either...we just watched the others. But when the last song came on it was "The Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers. John said, that's your favorite old song isn't it? Then he took my hand and led me to the dance floor and we slow-danced like teenagers. It was soooo cool! You have to realize that's a giant leap for him. I felt so loved! I laughed when it was over and said "Now I can die happy!" See...you can be almost 60 and still be romantic!

2 comments:

Free In Christ said...

That is a great story. I got goose bumps reading it. What a great man you have. I look forward to our dinner tomorrow. See you then.
Love....Melissa

Molly D said...

Way to go, Dad! I'm so proud of you! :)