Tuesday, July 04, 2006

4th of July

This photo of Molly and Joel was taken nearly 25 years ago. I really miss my kids. Today they're getting together to celebrate Independence Day and I've been thinking how hard it is for parents to let go and give their children their independence. Even though they're both grown, married and settled into their own lives...I long for the connection we had when they were young. I'm so happy that they both have found love in their marriages, a strong connection to the Lord, and many new friends to fill their lives. It's just so hard to have them so far away. I didn't realize at the beginning of my marriage how fortunate I was to live near my parents. I could always call them for advice on a sick child, a forgotten recipe, or just to get their sympathy when I was ill. I could walk to their house and always feel welcome. Now I understand how important those connections were to me and the kids as they were growing up. There's a light at the end of my blues though...both Molly & Joel are bringing their loved ones home with them next weekend for my Dad's 80th birthday. I hope I can convey to them just how much I appreciate them and love the time they're spending with us.

No comments: