Sunday, July 16, 2006

A day of family and faith...

Today we had our Whitenack family reunion. It's gotten so that not too many family members attend any more...usually those of us who are getting older. It was really nice today. We moved it to Mom and Dad's church since it's air conditioned and it was 96 degrees at the park! My mom's cousin and his family drove 3 hours from Toledo to attend! As we were eating lunch, my cousin Pam's son Nathan came in and surprised her...he had driven since yesterday morning from South Carolina to surprise her. Of course we all cried! I hadn't seen him in years...he's such a sweet young man. He played the piano and entertained us! Many of the family are getting up in years...Uncle Hillard is in his 90's and has the beginnings of Alzheimer's disease but he was there and enjoyed seeing everyone. It's sad to see relatives fading with age but so nice to still have them here to visit with them! After the reunion we rushed to the high school to see the end of a special celebration for our retired Pastor Max Edwards and his wife Dixie. It was their 50th wedding anniversary and people flew in from all over the world to see them and honor their lives. They've been missionaries in Mexico and Brazil and all their children are involved in missions or ministries too. It was a wonderful time. We got to see our buddy from Alaska who is Dixie's cousin. He flew in to surprise them too. So it's been a sweetly melancholy day of memories and thoughts of those who've gone on to be with the Lord. I'm so grateful to have had so many Christians in my life who have impacted my faith and the lives of all my family.

4 comments:

Free In Christ said...

Sounds wonderful. I'm glad you didn't have to endure the heat. It has been unbearable.

Molly D said...

Sorry we couldn't be there...I know you would have enjoyed showing Betsy off! ;)

Heather said...

Karen! How in the world did I miss so much! I loved the pictures, thank you so much for sharing them. You sure have a beautiful family! Love, Heather

A Bishops Wife said...

I found your blog from your post on "just laugh".

Very nice. You appear to come from a large family! I do too; 8 older sisters and a younger (40) brother.

The pictures are wonderful.