Sunday, April 22, 2007

Dad and Mom with their new great-granddaughter, Mikaylea




John and I spent the weekend with Dad and Mom. Sometimes it's hard to step back and look at the situation objectively. When we're there, we're so involved in mundane things of life...preparing meals, laundry, cleaning, caring for Mom's needs etc. But when I look at it from a distance, I realize that God is really using this painful time to give the world a witness. He is using our family to show others the joy of sacrificing for others, the value of unconditional love and the ability to step out of my comfort zone to think of the needs of others. I admire my dad so much. He has been caring for Mom 24 hours a day for almost 9 months. I know he's really exhausted...he's 80 years old! But he keeps on loving her and caring for her. He is setting a wonderful example for all his children and grandchildren. Oh sure...he loses patience sometimes...he gets tired and grumpy. But he sure hangs in there and keeps going...even keeping his sense of humor. Mom had a lot of company this weekend. Saturday after the company left, she experienced a small seizure. I don't know if she was over-stimulated or what but she seems to experience those more when she's had a lot of company. Today she enjoyed seeing her newest great-grand child. I loved holding sweet little Mikaylea too! Mom has become much weaker on her left side. She can no longer use the walker because her left hand and left leg don't really work. So we move her from the bed to her chair in a wheelchair. It's getting even more difficult to move her at all and we're hoping to get a lift from hospice to help. John and Dad actually had to lift her into bed and she's very heavy even though she's lost over 80 pounds. She has difficulty when she eats too, since the left side of her face and mouth aren't working right. It was a tough, tiring weekend but I'm glad I was able to be there and spend the time with Dad and Mom. I learned something funny too...never accidentally wash a Depends...it's like leaving 100 Kleenexes in your pocket...what a mess! Oh well...live and learn.

2 comments:

Free In Christ said...

Karen, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I know this is hard for you, but it sure seems like you are learning so much. As if you weren't already one to serve others. I hope to see you soon. I know I keep saying that, but I do miss you bunches.

I'll remember about Depends, hopefully I'll not have to use that knowledge soon. LOL!

Love, Melissa

Heather said...

Dear Ms Karen...I am sorry I have fallen off the edge of the blogosphere...but you did not leave my prayers. I think of you and your family often. God bless you and your hard work. I know this has to be so tiring for you. Love you!! Oh dear...I guess depends don't have the gel like a diaper? love you -Heather