Saturday, April 14, 2007




This devotion was in the bulletin at the funeral home when we went to the calling yesterday. I believe that Zan wrote this after her Dad's stroke. It was so touching and yet encouraging. I thought I'd share it here. Zan touched so many lives...it was obvious at the funeral home how many people loved her and will miss her pixie smile and loving nature. It's so hard for Jamey and their sons. He and Zan were married when they were 18 and have been married for 25 years.


I never thought about nursing homes while walking behind my daddy on the trapline, or casting fishing line in beside his. I didn't think of a nursing home while sitting on the edge of his bed having one of our heart to heart talks. Nursing homes and hospital beds never entered my mind when we danced together on the living room floor. Now the tides have changed in our lives, the seasons have come and gone. I'm still walking behind, but this time I'm pushing the wheels that give him a little freedom of movement. We still have heart to heart conversations but they are one sided, for you see he can only listen now. We dance a little differently now with his one hand extended, for movements are limited. But in this new season, we share something that I tried to share many years ago...a faith and hope in our Lord. That amazing grace that pours out from Calvary onto us. And someday, when the seasons change, again we'll be walking together side by side on golden streets. We'll share, and he'll speak to me once more, and we'll dance with the angels.

Isn't it amazing that the day Zan went to heaven, her father had gone to heaven only four days before! He had died the day after her accident and she hadn't known it. He was there to greet her when she arrived in heaven. I find that strangely comforting...God's timing isn't always our timing...but He always knows best.

1 comment:

Dana said...

I was so sorry to hear about Zan as well! I hope you are enjoying Joel and Wendy! ANd that's good that your mom and dad got a full night of sleep!