Monday, February 20, 2006

Memorial Service...

Tonight I listened to a memorial service that took place 50 years ago. It was a week after the five missionary men were killed in Ecuador by the Waodani (also known as Auca) indians who they were trying to evangelize. It was so moving to hear how their lives had already impacted the Christian community and the world. I'm reading the book "End of the Spear" by Steve Saint. He is the son of Nate Saint, one of the five killed. Since seeing the movie, I've been trying to learn as much as I can about the story and it has really touched my heart. The Holy Spirit has been revealing to me my lack of faith and trust in Him and has shown me that I can be useful in his kingdom despite my physical limitations. He will guide me and give me strength...equip me for the work that is to be done.
Here is the scripture that concluded their memorial service.

2 Corinthians 5:1-8

For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked.
For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life.
Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.
So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord.
For we walk by faith, not by sight.
We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Now THAT was inspirational thank you so much Karen.
Love in Him-
Heather

Karen said...

Thank you Heather! I always appreciate your encouragement so much!

Love in Him...

Karen

Orcagal said...

hey...hi there...nice msg...ya, for we walk by faith, not by sight...God lovs ya! i hv linked ur blog wif mine. take k now. God bless!!! =D

kimberly